Monday, February 14, 2011

My Great Gran Ryan


My dear great granny ryan passed away this week. She was 98 years old! She was an amazing woman. She lived at 56 Calendon Road in Dublin Ireland, the family home. Everyone in the family knows Calendon Road.
She was a strong and corageous woman. Not only did she raise her own family but she raised her daughters aswell when she passed away in her 30's. She worked at the Credit Union well into her 70's. Then they asked her to come back when she was in her 90's to train staff on how to do things without a computer, and she, in her 90's learnt how to use computers!

When I was 17 I went on my first trip overseas and headed for Ireland. I didnt tell anyone in the family I was coming, I just wanted to surprise them (as you do when you're 17). I remember calling my Granny Ryan from the ferry port in dublin after a boat journey from London, at 9oclock at night, and saying, "Hi is this granny Ryan? This is Alexis, David's daughter from Australia, Im in Dublin!" She welcomed me straight away and told me which buses to catch to get to her house (Calendon Road). Imagine if she'd gone who? Would have been a cold night!

I arrived and it was so wonderful to meet her. I'd been travelling for a while and she made me feel so welcome and at home. I remember there were tears. I missed home, I missed my friend I'd left in Belgium and was feeling very alone. But she changed all that and I love her :) I stayed with her for the time I was in Ireland. It was the funniest house, compared to what Im used to here in Australia. It was attached, skinny and tall with two tiny bedrooms upstairs and I always used to worry she would fall down the stairs, they were so steep and well skinny. But we had the best time, preparing for Christmas, making decorations out of alfoil and wrapping all the presents. All the family coming over to visit. The best Cheese and Ham sandwiches!

Then out of the blue I got invited to my cousins wedding. That was fun. Very Irish! I a castle on the coast, dancing, singing, kilts, family and great music! Gran and I rode over in a Mercedes Limousine my great uncle had organised to pick us up. It was the most fanciest car Id ever been in and I felt well posh!

My Granny, my Dads mum, passed away when I was young, about 4 years old, so I never really got to know her but felt always a very strong bond with her and new she was always looking out for me, I thought of her as my guardian angel. Whenever I'd think of her a song would play or come into mind.

I have wonderful memories of my great gran which I will always treasure. I'd met her only twice in this life, but I can't wait to spend the next one together! I know shes on the other side organising the troops, I can feel it, Im so blessed to have her as part of my family, and now need to get organised to do the work here!

No comments:

Post a Comment