Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday 19/9/10 - Whoa!

What a day it was at church today! I got to catch up with so many people and I loved it. I was blown away by the awesome sacrament talks. There's this one man who is always up the back and sleeps alot, well when I saw him on the stand, my expectations were not that high and I wondered what he was going to deliver for us. This is his story, I must share, it was soooo good.


"Picture this. Close your eyes if you like. There's a young man. He's sitting, waiting. It's drizzling rain. He looks around and settles back down. Waiting. He sees a man walking toward him along the road. He's not young, he look's old. When he see's him closer, he realises, he's not old, just ancient. The young man asks "Have you got it?". The Ancient man hands him a map. The young man takes it and unscrolls it and looks closely. He sees an X that marks the spot. He sees many paths and roads that he has travelled already. He hears the ancient man walking away and calls out to him. The Ancient one turns and tosses a book at him. The young man and Ancient one go on their ways.

We look and see there's a man on a path. It's coming to an end. He's the young man, but he's old now. He's travelled many paths and roads, crossed icy rivers, climbed the highest of mountain peeks and back down to the pits of them again. He has his map. And X marks the spot. He comes to a door. It's locked. He tries to open it but to no avail. He sits and cries out. A lifetime leading to this, a locked door. The Ancient One appears. The young man cries out pleading "Do you have the key". The Ancient one answers "Did you read the book?"

Oh my gosh I love this soooooooo much I have goosebumps writing it and remembering it said today. Ok so the map is the Gospel and the book is the Scriptures. The Scriptures are the standard by which we live. As we do so we can live the doctrine, fullfill the covenants, and recieve the keys to unlock the doors and receive the joy that we so desire.

And that was just the second talk in sacrament! The day went on to get better and better when I saw a newly baptised man and his wife return after some time away from church yay! They shared their story which was even more faith affirming. I got to go to my gospel principles class which I had been missing :) And we have three new investigators! Great work missionaries! Then onto RS. I felt so out of practice today lol, well it has been nearly 2 months since I've been to my ward. The RS President took on board some of my suggestions and used them today which was great, nice to know she is listening and willing to give things a go, thats all you can ask of someone right? That they listen and give you a chance - I appreciated it. We had a great lesson and I learnt alot of new things about the Church in ancient times and how Jesus Christ has and always will be the centre of his church, that this is not about the works of men, we are led by Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ. I loved it!
Afterward it was off to see the missionaries and give them the meal roster. We're having them over for Dinner Friday! Yaya missionary dinners oh how I've missed you! I'm excited :). The new companion of Elder Thunot is Elder Scurti, he has a real Brooksby vibe and I think he's going to be great for Redcliffe, funny as and a real people person. Anyways he was trying to convince me to check out Colorado before deciding on Utah as a place to move to. Too late sorry :). Im sure Colorado's nice and all and I will visit, but Utah it is. It was great catching up with them all. Then off to choir practice - oh what a crack up that was, worth going just for the laughs if nothing else.

Angela (RS First Counsellor and previously mentioned Yuri, his mum) took me aside today and asked me if I was joining the Choit. She and I have been getting really close since I came back from the States which is lovely. She then went onto to tell me how this will be so wonderful for me and that when I get to the states I must join a choir and sing in the Temple. Imagine that. She told me not to waste a second of my time in the states, to jump right in and experience it all. Well, that's exactly what Im planning to do, jump right in, experience it all. I cant wait!

Lunch with Honey after church today. Honey couldn't come today so the poor thing got to hear all about it from me, for hours lol. Then the missionaries came round to borrow her guitar to practice for this Sunday. And Elder Thunot told us that he is leaving early. Three weeks he has then he's home! I cant believe it, it was supposed to be November! Anyways that means game on now for me and Honey to organise his send off ASAP. We're having a Fireside Bonfire this Sunday at Helen's - I think this will be his send off, we've got a plan, should be fun, will try and record it and post a video or two :). I got to play with her guitar today too. First time I've ever had a go and I LIKE it. Now I want to buy one and learn how to play.

Tonight Honey and I made a delish Karen Sue inspired salad from the aforementioned healthy food bought yesterday. Can't wait to try it for lunch tomorrow. Was so much fun in my kitchen cooking away, with all my lovely new knives :). Then tonight a good chat with my friend Tara! Boys I tell you drive us girls nuts sometimes. I feel your pain Sista! Patience is a virtue as they say, when all other avenues are exhausted, it's our only option sometimes. And Tara, you're one of those new friend opportunities I was talking about, I'm really glad you're in my life too, glad the missionaries found you too!


Work tomorrow 9am - enough said :( - nah trying to be positive, a 9am start is not bad hey? We shall see how it goes soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment